top of page
Youthline logo

Fact Sheet: Eating Disorders

*acknowledgement to: berkshirehealthcare.nhs

If you think you have an disordered eating, talk to someone you trust. You may have a close friend or family member you can talk to. You might like to talk to a Youthline Counsellor or someone that offers you a confidential safe space.

Your GP can also give you advice and talk to you about getting a diagnosis and the possible treatment options. This will depend upon your individual circumstances and the type of disordered eating you have*.

What should I do if I think I have disordered eating?

The people most affected tend to be young women, particularly between the ages of 15 and 25. Around 10% of people with disordered eating are men*.

People with disordered eating often say it is the only way they feel they can stay in control of their life. But, as time goes on, it is the disordered eating that starts to control you. You may also have the urge to harm yourself, or misuse alcohol or drugs.

There are different types of disordered eating, the most common ones being anorexia, bulimia and binge eating. Disordered eating involves an unbalanced relationship with food and eating, and often an intense fear of being overweight.

Anyone can develop disordered eating, regardless of age, sex or cultural or racial background.

Quote icon

Seeing my Youthline counsellor helps me concentrate at school more knowing I have someone to talk to.

If you want to learn more about your feelings, and find more information and resources please click below:

bottom of page